Advanced Sports Nutrition helped thousands of athletes apply the most effective and cutting-edge strategies for optimal fueling and performance. Now this best-seller returns, updated with the latest research, topics, and innovations in sports nutrition.
Far beyond the typical food pyramid formula, Advanced Sports Nutrition offers serious strategies for serious athletes. This comprehensive guide includes the latest nutrition concepts for athletes in any sport. World-renowned sports nutritionist Dr. Dan Benardot breaks down the chemistry of improved performance into winning principles that ensure athletes' key energy systems are properly stocked at all times:
- Meal, energy, and nutrient timing guidelines to maintain that crucial energy balance throughout the day
- Optimal ratios and quantities of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals for any sport
- Guidelines on indentifying and maintaining optimal body composition for maximal power, strength, and athletic performance
- The latest research on ergogenic aids, such as quercitin and caffeine
- Strategies for avoiding gastrointestinal distress during activity and reducing exercise-induced inflammation
- The effects of travel, high altitude, and age on nutrition needs and performance
- Strategies for balancing fluid and electrolytes to avoid dehydration and hyperhydration
- Sport-specific guidelines for increased power, strength, and endurance
The best conditioning programs and technical instruction are beneficial only if your body is properly fueled and ready to operate at peak efficiency. With Advanced Sports Nutrition, Second Edition, you can be assured that when you are ready to push the limits of training and competition, your body is, too.
Paperback, 2012, 424 pages.
"Every athlete who follows Dan Benardot's recommendations in Advanced Sports Nutrition will train and compete at a higher level. The guidebook is full of essential, practical, simplified information that will help any team or individual achieve better performances." -- Bob Larsen -- USTFCCCA Hall of Fame Inductee, Co-Chairman of the USATF Coaches Registry Task Force
About the Author
Dan Benardot, PhD, RD, LD, FACSM, is full professor at Georgia State University (GSU). He received his doctorate in human nutrition and health planning from Cornell University in 1980 and is a registered and licensed dietitian. Benardot's primary area of expertise is sports nutrition, with a research emphasis in energy balance and nutrition issues related to young athletes. He cofounded and directs the Laboratory for Elite Athlete Performance at GSU.
Back to the store page